Faculty Senate Review of the Open Access Policy 2012-2013
View supporting and historical materials related the the UC Faculty Senate open access policy deliberations.
- University of California Press Release (August 2, 2013)
- Letter from Academic Council Chair Robert Powell to Provost Aimée Dorr (August 1, 2013)
- Letter from Provost Aimée Dorr to Academic Council Chair Robert Powell (May 6, 2013)
- Letter from Academic Council Chair Robert Powell to Provost Aimée Dorr (April 11, 2013)
- Letter from UCOLASC Chair Chris Kelty to Academic Council Chair Bob Powell (March 22, 2013)
- “An Open Access Policy for the University of California,” Presentation by Christopher Kelty, UCOLASC Chair (July 2012)
The following links display the history of the policy proposal and the drafts leading up to its adoption.
- Draft of Proposed Open Access Policy for the University of California – Clean (March 20, 2013)
- Annotated markup showing differences between the July 2012 draft policy and the March 2013 draft passed by the Academic Senate (March 20, 2013)
- Request for Systemwide Review – Letter to Academic Senate Divisions and Stanting Committees (August 9, 2012)
- Cover Open Access Policy Cover Letter (July 16, 2012)
- July 2012 draft of Proposed Open Access Policy for the University of California (2012)
2012 UCSF Open Access Policy
On May 21, 2012, the UCSF Academic Senate voted unanimously to adopt an open access policy, paving the way for the UC Academic Senate’s system wide open access policy decision on July 24, 2013.
Watch an interview with Rich Schneider, UCSF Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Open Access champion, as he reflects on this significant milestone and on the larger context of Open Access within the academy.
Earlier Proposed UC Policies
Members of the UC Academic Senate have considered different open access policy proposals over the years. Read about them in the news archives.