Presidential Open Access Policy, 2014-2015
In October 2015, the University of California issued a new policy to expand open access rights and responsibilities from just senate faculty, who were covered by previous policies, to all UC employees.
Explore the materials distributed to the UC community when this policy was issued and while it was under review.
- Official Presidential Open Access Policy issued by the University Policy Office (October 23, 2015)
- Issuance cover letter from President Janet Napolitano (October 23, 2015)
- Issuance memo from Provost Aimée Dorr (October 19, 2015)
- Announcement on the UC Office of Scholarly Communication blog (October 26, 2015)
- Systemwide Review Cover Letter (October 15, 2014)
- Open Access Briefing Document and FAQ (September, 2014)
Systemwide Academic Senate Open Access Policy 2012-2013
On July 24, 2013, following two years of formal review and revision, the UC Academic Council adopted an open access policy covering faculty senate members at all ten campuses.
View supporting and historical materials related to the UC Faculty Senate open access policy deliberations.
- Official Academic Senate Open Access Policy, on Senate letterhead (July 24, 2013)
- University of California Press Release (August 2, 2013)
- Letter from Academic Council Chair Robert Powell to Provost Aimée Dorr (August 1, 2013)
- Letter from Provost Aimée Dorr to Academic Council Chair Robert Powell (May 6, 2013)
- Letter from Academic Council Chair Robert Powell to Provost Aimée Dorr (April 11, 2013)
- Letter from UCOLASC Chair Chris Kelty to Academic Council Chair Bob Powell (March 22, 2013)
- “An Open Access Policy for the University of California,” Presentation by Christopher Kelty, UCOLASC Chair (July 2012)
The following links display the history of the policy proposal and the drafts leading up to its adoption.
- Draft of Proposed Open Access Policy for the University of California – Clean (March 20, 2013)
- Annotated markup showing differences between the July 2012 draft policy and the March 2013 draft passed by the Academic Senate (March 20, 2013)
- Request for Systemwide Review – Letter to Academic Senate Divisions and Standing Committees (August 9, 2012)
- Open Access Policy Cover Letter (July 16, 2012)
- Open Access Policy Discussion Documents for UCOLASC Meeting, including annotated model policy and FAQs (March 1, 2012)
- July 2012 draft of Proposed Open Access Policy for the University of California (2012)
UCSF Open Access Policy 2012
On May 21, 2012, the UCSF Academic Senate voted unanimously to adopt an open access policy, paving the way for the UC Academic Senate’s system wide open access policy decision on July 24, 2013.
- Official UCSF Open Access Policy (May 21, 2012)
- Watch an interview with Rich Schneider, UCSF Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Open Access champion, as he reflects on this significant milestone and on the larger context of Open Access within the academy.
Additional materials can be found at the UCSF library’s UCSF Open Access Policy information page.
Earlier Proposed UC Policies
Members of the UC Academic Senate have considered different open access policy proposals over the years. Read about them in the news archives.