The University of California’s Office of Scholarly Communication focuses on monitoring and synthesizing significant developments in scholarly communication with particular emphasis on implications for the UC academic community. As such, the OSC:
- Serves as a resource for the analysis of current and emergent topics in this area, including: the transformation of publishing and distribution models, the development of new value metrics, data publication and open data, the economics of open access, etc.;
- Coordinates and provides centralized access to existing educational resources (and supplements with new guides or statements) on rights management and open access, including UC’s Open Access Policy;
- Drafts statements on behalf of UC libraries regarding local or national policies and legislation, and establishes guidelines and procedures for the creation of such statements.
In addition, the OSC develops and maintains this website as a clearinghouse of information for UC faculty, students and staff.
Current OSC membership
- Günter Waibel (Executive Director, CDL), OSC Executive Co-director
- Jim Munson (Interim Business Lead, UCSF), OSC Executive Co-director
- Catherine Mitchell (Director, Access & Publishing, CDL), OSC Operations Director
- Ivy Anderson (Director, Collections, CDL)
- Eric Bakovic (Linguistics professor, UC San Diego), University Committee on Libraries and Scholarly Communication (UCOLASC) representative
- Mitchell Brown (Scholarly Communications Coordinator, UC Irvine), Scholarly Publishing Common Knowledge Group representative
- Sharon Farb (Associate University Librarian for Collection Management and Scholarly Communication, UCLA), UC Libraries Strategic Action Group 1 (SAG1) representative
- Katie Fortney (Copyright Policy & Education Officer, CDL)
- Roberto Manduchi (Computer Engineering professor, UC Santa Cruz), University Committee on Libraries and Scholarly Communication (UCOLASC) representative
- Dan Morgan (Digital Science Publisher, UC Press). Transparency statement: Dan Morgan is the Publisher of the Collabra OA journals program at UC Press.
- Stephanie Simms (Research Data Specialist, CDL)
- Wendy Streitz (Executive Director, Research Policy Analysis and Coordination, UCOP)
Please contact us with any questions/comments: firstname.lastname@example.org