A second systemwide review window is open for a draft policy on open access to University of California dissertations and theses. The current review period extends to April 10 and all members of the UC community are welcome to submit comments and questions. The draft policy and accompanying documents, including a cover letter and FAQs, are available on the Academic Personnel and Programs website.
As explained in the review cover letter, the revised policy provides a clearer and more streamlined process for embargo extensions. The new draft also more closely mirrors most existing UC campus policies on dissertations and theses (see Appendix A to the draft policy), as well as practices at peer institutions such as Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, Illinois, and Michigan.
For complete information about the policy and where to send comments and questions, please read the following documents available from Academic Personnel and Programs:
- November 28, 2018 Second Systemwide Review Cover Letter (PDF)
- Draft Presidential Policy, Open Access for Theses and Dissertations (clean copy) (PDF)
- Draft Presidential Policy, Open Access for Theses and Dissertations (redline copy) (PDF)
- FAQs for Open Access for Theses and Dissertations Policy (PDF)
- Appendix A: Specific Campus Policies and Practices Related to Open Access for Theses and Dissertations (PDF)